Hola! I have come up with the perfect meal to spice up your romantic dinner for Valentines day! Green Chile Mac and Cheese! I’ve been wanting to try out a new macaroni and cheese recipe for quite sometime now. This came together on a whim, the addition of jalapenos is a must in my opinion, it gives this dish an extra layer of flavor. I know it seems like this dish has a lot of black pepper in it as well, but I’ve heard spicy food is an aphrodisiac, so don’t feel guilty eating all of the mac and cheese. Hasta la proxima!
You are going to start by bringing a big pot of water to a boil and boiling your macaroni. I followed the instructions on the package, I feel you should do the same.
While the pasta is cooking, chop up your garlic and heat a sauce pan over medium high heat. Melt your butter and then add your garlic, saute for a few minutes.
Then add your flour and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
Whisk in your milk slowly to the flour mixture, cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or until it thickens.
Then add your cheese (reserving some for the top, since you will be baking this) and green chiles, whisk until incorporated. Then add your salt and pepper.
Once your macaroni is ready, drain in a colander and add it to your cheese sauce. Mix until combined.
Now add your pickled jalapenos and mix until incorporated.
Spray your baking dish with cooking spray and add your macaroni and cheese to your baking dish, I used a heart shaped baking pan. But you can use a regular 9 x 13 baking dish. Then sprinkle with the rest of your cheese over top. If you are using something small like me, then bake for 20 minutes. In your 9 x 13 dish bake for 40 minutes. This does make a lot and it tastes just as good eaten straight from the pot. Enjoy!
Green Chile Mac and Cheese
If you use small ramekins cooking time will be 20 minutes, you can also bake it in a 9 x 13 baking dish but it will bake for 40 minutes.
- 1 lb box macaroni
- 6 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 heaping tbs flour
- 2 c milk
- 1 10 oz block white cheddar, shredded
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 2 tbs diced pickled jalapenos
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil, then add your macaroni and cook according to the manufacturer.
- In a sauce pan over medium high heat add your butter and garlic, saute for a few minutes.
- Add your flour and whisk it into the butter and garlic, cook for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk to the flour mixture and whisk until it becomes smooth.
- Cook the mixture for about 3 to 4 minutes or until the liquid thickens.
- Reserve about 1/4 of a cup of cheese to put over top and add the rest to the flour mixture.
- Add in you green chiles, salt and black pepper and mix until combined.
- Once your macaroni is cooked drain it and at it to the cheese sauce, mix until incorporated.
- Finally add in the jalapenos and stir until evenly distributed.
- In a greased baking dish (I use cooking spray) add your macaroni and cheese and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over top. If you’re using individual ramekins you will grease those as well before adding the mac and cheese.
- In a 350 F oven put your macaroni and cheese and bake for 40 minutes, if you are using ramekins they will only need about 20 minutes. Enjoy!