I was given the opportunity to participate in a challenge called #Beansgreensandproteinchallenge. This has been a fun way for me to get out of my comfort zone and start experimenting in the kitchen. I was going to make a big pot of garbanzos, but I thought that was a bit boring and I wanted to make something a little different. The challenge is basically you have to-have a protein, a green and beans, it has to be healthy and no more than 10 ingredients. Thank you April Lee from The Tipsy House Wife for letting me join in on the fun. I hope you guys enjoy my Chickpea cups with grilled chicken and grilled veggies. This recipe is so simple and basic that I do not recommend skimping on grilling the vegetables and chicken. It adds an extra layer of flavor. Hasta la proxima!
We are going to first drain and rinse 1 can of chickpeas.
Then transfer it to a bowl and add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin and oregano. I used a potato masher to mash up the beans, but if you have a food processor by all means use it.
Then add an egg and baking soda and mix until combined.
Grease your muffin tin with whatever oil you like, using a small cookie scoop, scoop the mixture into the minnie muffin tin and slightly mold them into the muffin tin to look like little cups.
Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes.
In the mean time you are going to grill your vegetables, the recipe I used was from my Veggie Loaded Sandwich.
I marinated the chicken a few hours before, in a gallon bag I added salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, olive oil and garlic powder. Zip it up and massage your marinade into your chicken. Then just grill your chicken about 6 to 8 minutes on each side or until your juices run clear.
Once you remove the chickpea cups from the oven, you will notice they puffed up slightly. Let them cool down for 5 minutes and then with your finger gently press down and make indentations in the center to form a cup.
Now chop your chicken and vegetables into bite sized pieces, I used only zucchini and red peppers for this recipe. Sprinkle it into each cup and then top it with some tzatziki sauce. These are small but they are quite filling, they also reheat well. I had some the next day for lunch and I swear they tasted even better.
Give these guys a try, you won’t be disappointed.
Grilled Chicken Breast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- red peppers
- tzatziki sauce
- In a gallon bag add your olive oil, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Then add your chicken and seal the bag letting the air out.
- Now massage the chicken around in the marinade, then let sit for a few hours.
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas, then in a bowl add your chickpeas and begin to mash with a potato masher.
- Add your cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper, baking soda and egg. Mix until combined.
- Grease your minnie muffin tin, with a cookie scoop, scoop the garbanzo mixture into your muffin tins then mold the chickpea mixture to look like a small cup.
- Bake in a 350 F oven for 15 minutes. The chickpeas will puff up, allow to cool for 5 minutes before making an indentation in the center of each chickpea muffin, you want to make it like a cup.
- I used the recipe for my Veggie Loaded Sandwich for my grilled vegetables.
- Put your chicken on the grill and cook for about 6 to 8 minutes or until the juices run clear.
- Chop your vegetables and chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Fill each cup with vegetable and chicken and then top with tzatziki sauce. I used store bought, but you could certainly make your own. Enjoy!