Welcome to 2018! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday, I managed to eat my weight in cookies and chocolate. I don’t know if this happens to you, but when I eat really poorly my body starts to crave healthy food. It wants more fruit and vegetables. One of the things I’ve been craving are falafels, I love them. I had every intention of making them from scratch, but I honestly wasn’t in the mood to bring out my food processor. So here we have it folks, a lazy mans falafel. I also ditched the pita and used butter lettuce, its also an easy weeknight meal. Hasta la proxima!
Drain and rinse your garbanzos and then dry them with a paper towel.
In a pan with olive oil over medium high heat add your onion and garlic. Saute until soft and translucent.
Then add your garbanzos and cook for about 5 minutes.
Now we are going to add the cumin, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper.
Add your tahini and lemon juice. Mix around trying to break down the tahini, my tahini was a bit thick. I added 1/4 cup of water to help break down the tahini, it worked like a charm all of the liquid evaporates rather quickly.
I wanted to go down a healthier route, so I chose butter lettuce cups over the pita.
On the bottom you’re going to put hummus, I like the pine nut hummus, I had store bought on hand. By all means make your own if you like.
Then add your chickpeas.
Next we are going to layer it with tzatziki sauce, which I bought! I know you can make your own, but I just wasn’t feeling it. Then cut up some cucumber, that is it folks. It is fairly healthy, meatless and delicious. Oh and its easy to make. No excuses!
Lazy Falafel Taco
- 1 15 oz can garbanzos rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 red onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1/4 c water
- 1 lemon juiced
- butter lettuce
- store bought tzatziki or homemade
- store bought hummus or homemade
- diced cucumber
- Rinse and drain your garbanzo and then dry them as much as you can with a paper towel.
- In a pan add olive oil and heat over medium high heat, add your onions and garlic. Cook until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the garbanzos and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Now add your cumin, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper to your garbanzos. Stir spices around until incorporated.
- Add you tahini, water and lemon juice. Stir it around until the tahini dissolves and it forms a sauce.
- To make your taco get your butter lettuce and peel off the leaves, then put a layer of hummus, layer of garbanzos, layer of tzatziki and sprinkle over with diced cucumbers. Enjoy!