I had a lot of left over ingredients from cooking, so I decided to throw this easy chicken salad together. You could totally use a rotisserie chicken and just shred that sucker up, if you don’t feel like cooking your own chicken. We had grilled chicken tenderloin the day prior and I wanted to jazz that up a bit. I love it when a recipe comes together and is actually delicious the first time around. You could also do this the day after Thanksgiving! Substitute the chicken for the turkey and instead of the dried cranberries use the leftover cranberry sauce. I know I’m a genius and on that note lets get started.
This is what you are going to use chicken tenderloin, walnuts, onion and lime juice, apple, mayo, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper, I forgot to add the honey and dried cranberries to the photo below.
Mix it all together and voila lunch in less than half an hour. I did add 1 lime to the diced onion and I let it soak for about 10 minutes. This takes away that strong raw onion flavor, the longer you let it soak the milder the onion becomes.
Eat as is or with pita bread, bread or veggies.
Adjust the amounts however you like, if you want more chicken add more chicken or walnuts. The skies the limit. You could also add celery, but I am not a fan of celery so I opted for a celery free salad.
You could also make this around Thanksgiving time with your leftovers, substitute the chicken for turkey.
Easy Chicken Salad
- 1 1/2 cup cooked chicken tenderloin or shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 diced red onion
- 1 pink lady apple
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 tablespoon Dried cranberries
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl add diced red onion and juice of a whole lime and mix until all the onion is covered in lime juice. Let it sit for a minimum of 10 minutes, the longer it sits the less of a bite the onions will have.
- Now in a clean bowl add the chicken, diced apple, chopped walnuts and dried cranberries and mix until combined.
- Add Mayo, Dijon mustard, honey and salt a pepper to taste. Mix it all together. Be sure to taste and see if you need to adjust for seasoning.