You guys, I have come up with the most ingenious idea known to man. Mini pumpkin cheesecake donuts. But that’s not the genius part, the filling is made with Ben & Jerry’s pumpkin cheesecake ice cream! It came to me the other day that ice cream is basically like a custard so why not melt it down and then thicken it with cornstarch? The donut is also made with puff pastry, so it’s super light and fluffy, kind of like a cronut. This is extremely easy to make and you will look like you worked all day in the kitchen making donuts. Let’s get started.
Let’s begin with the filling, we are adding 1 cup of Ben & Jerry’s pumpkin cheesecake ice cream (or any pumpkin ice cream you love) to a medium sauce pan over medium high heat.
Then in a small bowl add one tablespoon of cornstarch with one tablespoon of water and mix until combined.
Cook for about 5 minutes until it thickens.
Let the mixture cool completely and then refrigerate for about an hour.
Now we are going to add orange food coloring, this is optional. But the color is kind of drab so I wanted to make it pretty. I had Sophia help me with the mixing of the food coloring. As you can see she enjoyed it quite a bit. I recommend you just make the whole pint of ice cream and just add about 1 teaspoon more of the cornstarch, its really very yummy.
Once the oil has reached 375 degrees begin frying the puff pastry circles. It will begin to puff up and that’s when you flip it on the other side to brown then remove from the oil. I made mini donuts so they were in the fryer for less than 1 minute on each side. You just want them golden brown.
Cut the tip of a pastry bag and fit it with a pastry tip #822 is what I used. I also ran out of pastry bags so I used a sandwich bag and it worked great! Fill the pastry bag/sandwich bag with pumpkin cheesecake filling. Now stuff the tip into the donut and squeeze until the filling comes out over the top of the donut.
That’s it folks. The only thing left to do now is eat them up. These are slightly dangerous because they are so light and airy, that you could eat a dozen before you realize what you’ve done. Hasta la proxima!
Mini Pumpkin Cheesecake filled Donuts
- 1 cup pumpkin ice cream (I used Ben & Jerry’s pumpkin cheesecake ice cream) or 1 whole pint
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or (1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon for 1 pint)
- 1 – 2 drops of orange gel food coloring
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 package of puff pastry (defrosted overnight)
- Canola oil for frying
- Add ice cream into a medium sauce pan over medium high heat. In another bowl add cornstarch and water and mix until cornstarch is dissolved. Whisk cornstarch mixture to melted ice cream in the sauce pan and cook until thickened. Then remove from heat and cool down and refrigerate.
- Once pumpkin filling has cooled add 1 or 2 drops of orange food coloring I use gel food coloring so that it doesn’t dilute the filling too much and mix until you reach your desired color. Or you could certainly skip this step and leave it as is.
- In a bowl add the sugar and cinnamon and mix until combined.
- Heat canola oil to 375 degrees, while you wait, begin cutting the circles out of the thawed puff pastry. You could get anywhere between 18 to 24 donuts, begin adding 4 at a time to the hot oil, try not to over crowd the pot, that will cause your donuts to get soggy.
- Then on a paper towel lined plate put your fried donuts on top. Then dredge each donut in the cinnamon sugar mixture while the others are frying.
- Now add pumpkin filling to a pastry bag with a pastry tip or you could use a sandwich bag with the pastry tip and fill each donut. Enjoy!