Welcome to a Cuban girls dream, a big ass pastelito filled with guava and Cream Cheese. I love pastelitos, but let’s be honest it’s not very big and you always end up wanting more! Plus a lot of times the filling to pastry ratio is lacking in the filling department. What I have here is the perfect balance of pastry to filling, I also added a glaze to it…you’re welcome. Let’s begin shall we?
Then the top half of the pastry, now you have a ring. Which you are going to brush the rest of the egg wash all over. Then sprinkle 1/2 a teaspoon of granulated sugar over the top and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
Now we make the glaze with 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon of powdered sugar, one tablespoon of milk and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and a pinch of salt. Mix until combined and then drizzle over the pastry ring.
Guava and Cream Cheese Ring Puff
For the filling you can always add more of each ingredient if needed. Just don’t over do it to much, or you’ll have a mess in your hands.
If you find you glaze is to thick add a little more milk to thin it out. If you see it’s to thin add more powder sugar. The glaze is very forgiving.
- 2 pack ready to roll puff pastry
- 6 ounces guava paste (Cut into 11 rectangular slices).
- 4 ounces cream cheese ( cut in 7 rectangular slices)
- 1 egg whisked
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Roll the puff pastry out into 2 large rectangles and slice into 8 triangles each (leaving you with 16 triangles overall).
- Arrange the triangles in a circle, overlapping each one slightly to ensure the filling will be well wrapped. Spread 11 slices of guava paste slightly overlapping around the ring, then top with 7 slices of cream cheese to form a circle of ingredients.
- Fold the corners of the triangles into the center of the ring one at a time. Press down into the bottom of the pastry to lightly seal
- Brush the whole ring with the whisked egg then sprinkle sugar over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden and well risen.
- To make the glaze add the powder sugar, milk, vanilla extract and salt and mix until combined. Then drizzle over the top of the cooled pastry ring.