Here we are again, only this time I have something a little healthier for you…well I mean we have a ton of veggies in it so it’s healthy right? I’m not much for veggies, but if you grill it, I’ll pretty much will eat anything you put in front of me. So let’s get started.
We have two zucchini, a whole red onion and a yellow and orange bell pepper. So here are my thoughts, you can use any vegetable you want. The more the merrier, however I highly recommend you stick with any color bell pepper but green. They just aren’t sweet enough and they will change the flavor profile. While I prefer a red onion (or is it a purple onion? It looks purple to me… let’s go with that) You could also use a vidalia onion here as well. Now let’s move on.
We are grillin and chillin and sweating our bums off.. but so worth the sacrifice. If you don’t have an outdoor grill you could totally use an indoor grill pan. You just won’t get the smokiness you get from the grill.
A thing of beauty, if I do say so myself. I decided to use ciabatta rolls they are nicer and sturdy and please grill or toast your bread and for the love of all veggies known to man kind, do not over cook your veggies. Mushy veggies have no place in this sandwich or anywhere for that matter.
There you have it, we have an onion and chives cream cheese layer, zucchini, peppers, red onion and then to elevate this veggie sandwich even more, fried onions! You know the ones that come already in the container that are used once a year in your green bean casserole…. those. This is what sets other veggies sandwiches apart, the crunch factor.
Loaded Veggie Sandwich
Notes: you can add as many veggies as you want, if you want some spice grill some jalapeños or even poblano peppers would work here. The skies the limit.
- 2 zucchini sliced 1/2 an inch thick length wide
- 1 red onion sliced 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 2 bell peppers orange and yellow sliced length wise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbs of salt or to taste
- 3 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 Tbs onion and chive cream cheese
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- Chop the zucchini length wise about 1/2 an inch thick. Cut the onion in thick rounds about 1/2 inch thick. The bell peppers , I like to cut each side avoiding the seeds so that you get 4 pieces per pepper.
- Add garlic powder to olive oil and mix together, then with a brush, brush the vegetables on each side generously and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides. Any remaining oil take with you, along with the vegetables when you are ready to grill.
- Grill about 3 to 5 minutes an each side until the vegetables are slightly tender but still have a bit of a bite. If your veggies start to stick be sure brush more of your olive oil to the veggies. I also like to finish the cooked vegetables with a sprinkling of salt.
- Brush the bottom half of your ciabatta with olive oil mixture and grill face down. About 3 to 4 minutes. You want a light golden color, not burnt.
- Let’s assemble, on both sides of the ciabatta spread the onion and chive cream cheese. Now cut the zucchini in half to fit the ciabatta bread, I layered on 2 slices of zucchini , 2 slices of bell pepper, one whole sliced red onion and then some of the crispy fried onions on the side of the cream cheese. Cut in half and enjoy!