So here we begin with my first blog post ever! Very exciting…for me at least. Let’s celebrate with these amazing Cuban blondies that are out of this world! Can you see the layer of Maria crackers and guava paste? It’s going to change your world, so let’s get started.
We start with a shortbread crust, I mean you can’t go wrong with a shortbread crust. We are already winning! Oh and you’re going to want to line your pan with parchment paper or in a pinch foil will do just fine.
Notes: I call these Cuban blondies because the Maria crackers and guava are something we always had on hand at my Cuban grandparents home.
I would also recommend using an 8×8 square pan if you want your cuts to be more uniformed and precise. I used a 9 inch pie pan because I misplaced my 8×8 square pan. The choice is yours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Shortbread crust adapted from joy of baking
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar (powdered or icing sugar)
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- Add flour, powdered sugar and salt to bowl and whisk to combine. Then add the cubed butter and with a pastry blender combine butter and flour until it forms a dough. You could also do this in a food processor, I just don’t have one.
- Now pour all of the dough into the pan and pat it down making sure to cover the whole bottom of the pan.
Maria sandwiched crackers
Makes 7 sandwiched cookies
- 14 Maria crackers
- 6 oz guava paste
- Place cut pieces of guava, about half an inch thick on plain side of the Maria cracker and then add the other Maria cracker on top of the guava paste. Next put the sandwiched cookies on top of the short bread crust. Place as many as you can to fill the bottom of the pan.
Blondies Recipe adapted from Simply Recipes
- 1/2 cup of butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 Pinches of salt
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Whisk together the melted butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and whisk.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, cinnamon and whisk it all together.
- Pour into the pan and spread evenly over the sandwiched Maria crackers, bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool. Cut into squares or rectangles and serve.